They aren't the prettiest ever, but boy do they taste good.
- 2 1/2 c unbleached flour
- 1/4 ts Salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice (or, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp cloves)
- 1/2 c organic unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 cage-free organic eggs, beaten
- 1/2 c unsulphured blackstrap molasses
- 1 cup raisins, chopped
- 2 Tbsp organic whole milk
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- Cream butter and sugar, add eggs and molasses.
- Mix in the dry ingredients, raisins, and milk, then add walnuts.
- Gather the dough together in one lump, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- On a lightly floured board, roll out 1/2 of the dough at a time to a thin sheet and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake on greased cookie sheets for 10 minutes.
Yield: 60 small cookies
(Based on recipe for molasses hermits from The New Settlement Cookbook, posted to MM-Recipes Digest by "Cindy Hartlin" on Nov 16, 1999.)